Liquid silicone rubber, or LSR, is a material process that is complemented by our experience and expertise. It provides many economies and features not offered by organic rubber which we take advantage of across many markets.
One example is our work in the silicone over molding of surgical instruments. This is a unique and proprietary process where we create a seal between the silicone and the over molded instrument. Our bonds withstand repeated autoclave cycling and inhibit the migration of fluids between sealed surfaces.
LSR tooling is comparable in cost and complexity to plastic tooling. Tight tolerances are needed to produce near flash free parts and fast cycle times and automatic processing greatly reduce cavity count.
Typical LSR properties include:
- Thermoset material
- Heat resistance up to 180°C
- Flexibility down to -45° C
- Good resistance to ozone, UV, radiation, and weathering
- Good chloramine resistance
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
- Good resistance to aging
- Physically inert
- High mechanical strength
- Highly colorable
Processing advantages include:
- No material preprocessing
- Very clean molding
- Low or no material waste
- Minimal flash extension can eliminate post-deflashing
- Reduced labor content with automation
- Shorter cycle times
- Thinner cross-sections
- Well suited for high volume production
- Easy to obtain water agency certifications