Minnesota Rubber and Plastics pioneered the design and production of four-lobed seals with the Quad-Ring® Brand seal design. These seals are used today around the world for a wide variety of static and dynamic sealing applications.
Avoiding Spiral Twist
To minimize breakaway friction, an O-Ring groove must be wide enough to allow rolling or twisting of the seal. In the long stroke of a reciprocating seal application, this twisting action can strain and eventually tear the rubber, causing a failure mode known as spiral twist.
To prevent spiral twist, the Quad-Ring® Brand seal’s four-lobed configuration is designed to withstand the distortion and extrusion often caused by high or pulsating pressure. To accommodate these forces, a Quad-Ring® Brand seal uses a narrower groove than a comparable O-Ring seal.
Longer Seal Life
Because less squeeze means less friction with the four-lobe design, seals last longer. Therefore, equipment in which the Quad-Ring® Brand seal is installed will operate longer and require less maintenance.
No Parting Line on Sealing Surface
Unlike O-Rings, where parting lines are on the sealing surface, Quad-Ring® Brand seals’ parting lines lie between the lobes, away from the sealing surface. This design eliminates the problems of leakage resulting from a parting line’s irregular surface.
- The Quad® Brand Seal Family
- Identifying A Sealing Application Type
- Defining Factors in Sealing Applications
- Quad-Ring® Brand Seals
- Groove Design: Quad-Ring® Seals
- Quad® Brand O-Ring Seals
- Groove Design: O-Ring Seals
- Piston Seal Application Example
- Rod Seal Application Example
- Quad-Ring® Brand and O-Ring Seals for Face Seal Applications
- Quad-Ring® Face Seal Application Example
- Rotary Seals
- Sealing Systems – Rotary Application
- Quad-Ring® Brand Seals for Rotary Applications With Oil
- Quad-Ring® Brand Rotary Seal Application
- Selection Guide/Standard Size Quad-Ring® Brand Seals and Quad® Brand O-Rings Seals
- Quad® Brand Ground Rubber Balls
- Equi-Flex™ Rod Wiper/ Scraper
- Quad® P.E. Plus Brand Plastic Exclusion Seals